Iraquara, Bahia, Brazil 2013
"It is not just about winning but about all the things a child can learn and develop during the process."
- Iraquara Physical Education Teacher
In November 2013, in advance of the 2014 World Cup, Round Star Foundation sent a team of four Super Soccer Stars coaches to rural Bahia in Brazil as part of our Building Soccer Bridges Program. Our coaching team worked with a group of at-risk youth to hone soccer skills and teach the students the basic coaching techniques through Super Soccer Stars' T.A.L.E.N.T. curriculum. In addition, we introduced our unique Building Soccer Bridges platform to dozens of local school physical education teachers and provided a donation of soccer equipment for the local school network. The positive feedback we received from our program in Bahia was tremendous, and we are looking forward to continuing this work around the globe! We are committed to using soccer as the vehicle to build leadership skills, enhance self-confidence, and empower youth to make positive contributions to their communities.
Below are some pictures from our trip to Bahia:
- To emphasize soccer as an important mechanism for improving academic success and community stability.
- To use of soccer as a tool to engage children in physical activity and nutrition.
- To communicate an instructional foundation, philosophy and practical skills to enhance current soccer programs.
- Provided 25 physical education teachers in Bahia, Brazil with techniques to help them mentor children of all ages;
- Worked with 65 teenagers ranging from ages 13-17, teaching them how to mentor and become leaders in their respective communities;
- Implemented soccer workshops with over 200 local children, teaching them not only techniques, but also values such as leadership and respect;
- Developed educational seminars for educators, teenagers and adolescents to combat against negative issues relating to drugs, gangs, alcohol and abuse and teenage pregnancy in their community; and
- Created opportunities for United States soccer coaches to exchange knowledge with local teachers about soccer education.